Friday, September 2, 2011

My First Post

So I am sitting at home in my empty house. My brother is in Rome, my sister and brother in law are in Shanghai, and my parents are in Ankara. Its amazing how much you get to thinking when you are on your own. I have done a lot of searching lately. Looking for good books, good music, good movies (documentaries...). I've had a lot of great food, because of my family, but thats another story. Let me just say that I had a fridge full of food at the beginning of the week that I thought would be my food for the week, but it is just as full now as it was on Tuesday. My family is crazy, but the best... Anyway, my belly has been full with food, but my mind has also been filled with thought. Driving around today I had my Ipod blasting all day as usual and I ran across some good stuff. Let Brother Ali serve you a plate of food for thought:

"Something spiritual happen when them hands get to clappin
Can you tell me, what language do you laugh in?
The human reaction of smiles and cries
What language are the tears when they're fallin from your eyes?
You've probably seen the sunrise hundreds of times
But let a painter paint it or a poet describe
The very moment where heaven and Earth might collide
And God let the breath of life come outside
Uh, Satan doubted it, angels bowed to it
I'm so beautifully human and I'm proud of it
Soul of a soldier, heart of a scholar
I wrote this poem with the blood of a martyr
Imam Mohammed might pound on the podium
Popmaster Fabel work it out on the linoleum
Chappelle bust funnies, Mos Def bust rhymes
Muhammad Ali is the greatest of all time"

I am defined by my life and the way I live it. I want to be proud of being who I am.

"I said the good Lord made me what I am and I play this game for keeps
Got to use what I have to get what I want, all the dreamer got is his dream
And the good Lord made me what I am and I play the hand I'm dealt
Said sometimes the hardest thing to be in this world is just yourself"

1 comment:

  1. This trip of yours to Africa will be such an eye opener. It will be more than just a reaching a goal that you set for yourself at a young age. It will be a journey of self. I wish I could go on it with you but that is not really the point. We, both, will be discovering ourselves in a way that I believe everyone should set out to do at one point in their life. To say that I am proud of you simply would not be enough. You are exactly the kind of person I look up to. The person who sets goals and reaches for them without hesitation or regret. I extremely excited to read your blog of "I dream of Africa". I am very excited for you on your journey and I hope that it really is the very thing you need to understand who you truly are.

    muah.

    ReplyDelete