Sunday, September 11, 2011

Eli Fat Mat

I have currently been awake for the past 38 hours... (Took about a 45 min. nap on the train, but whos counting) I spent the weekend in Chicago. At one point I hit up my secret spot where I like to go down on the lake. Its got the best veiw of the Chicago sky line. My sister actually is the first person to take me there. I spent a good deal of time there this weekend though looking out on to the city. Chicago has the most beautiful skyline in the world! I cant even imagine a tragic event like that which happened 10 years ago today happening to this city, this skyline, these great people. 

early this morning I was reading my book (Acts of Faith right now... great book!) and I came across an Arabic proverb. It is Eli Fat Mat, which basically to my understanding means something along the lines of "the past is dead". On a day like today where the cop filled streets and the countless American flags sat still for a moment of silence in the waking hours of this Sunday morning, I sat on an almost completely empty El Train thinking Eli Fat Mat.

The past is dead, but it is never forgotten. Though our present realities lead us towards new goals, new hieghts, and new ideas these present realities quickly become past experiences and they die off, but we must never forget these experiences. It is the past that defines who we are. 

As a global community we have moved on from 9/11, but we never for one second forget it. We let the fear, the hurt, the sadness, and the hopelessness of an incomprehensibly disgusting act of hatred and terror die to make way for the love, compassion, faith, and unity which keeps up moving forward into a better future. 

Never in my heart will I forget going to sleep at night hearing that a plane may have just struck the world trade center to wake up to the horrific images of the two towers collapsing, but I must let all the feelings that accompanied that experience die. I must move from my past and into my future. I will never be the same, America will never be the same, and the world will never be the same because of what happened on September 11, 2001. God Bless everyone who had a family member or loved one die in the incidents of the attack. 

We must never forget...

No comments:

Post a Comment