Monday, March 5, 2012

Coaching Philosophy as of March 2012


Coaching sport is the most respectable leadership platforms in the world and it is also one of the most scrutinized. A basketball coach assumes many roles in the school or organization in which they are coaching. A coach can be seen as an organizer, an advocate, a leader, a mascot, a role model but however you want to categorize a coach their most important role is as a teacher.
I have wanted to be a coach since I was in high school. The reason I fell in love with coaching is still the same reason I pursue my passion today and that is that I want to teach the great game of basketball in a way that I can develop better players and better people that I ever could be. My aim as a coach is to develop the most complete basketball players to ever play the game, but also develop the best people to ever walk the earth.
Basketball is an ever changing game in the same way that we live in an ever changing world. That is why as a coach I must focus on being adaptive to the changing climate of the world and basketball. Through my continuous effort to learn and grow as a coach I try to show and teach my players to love beating on their craft (whatever that craft might be). As Will Smith said, “, skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft.” Coaching not only gives me the opportunity to day in and day out beat my players crafts into them whether they like it or not, but it is my goal as a coach to create players who understand and love the effects and outcomes of industry and hard work.
It is well known that families that play together, stay together, and those that walk apart fall apart. My team is my family and so the communication and continuity of every aspect of my basketball program must be on the same page. My attention, respect, and time is open for every player, coach, administrator, and fan that is part of my team. In my personal philosophy family is prioritized second behind my faith and my basketball philosophy is exactly the same, but I will always consider my team family.
The way I teach my players to play is the same way I want them to live life. In a game I want my players to be playing at full speed for 100% of the game and never take a possession off offensively or defensively. I want them to play fast, but not out of control. Though hustle should never be mistaken for skill, it sure can make for a pretty good substitute for skill. That is why my best defender and my best rebounder will always start a game along with my best scorer and ball handler.
No matter a skilled player or not my players will always be in attack mode offensively and defensively. I have found that the best offense against a man to man defense is fast break and the best offense against a zone defense is fast break, so my offense will always be breathing down the neck of the defense. Also, I have found that nothing makes a ball handler or shooter uncomfortable is a hand in their face so my players will always play pressure defense. Finally, I realized one day in 11th grade math that the more opportunities someone has to score, the more that person will probably score. For this reason my team will rebound the basketball so as to have as many possessions as possible.
Basketball for my team is way more than a game, but it is a metaphor for the type of people we are. As mentioned above we will prepare ourselves to be ready for whatever the game and life throws us and we will give one hundred percent to succeeding in what we catch. We will attack each and every obstacle together with cooperation and poise. Most of all we will approach all the good and the bad we face with a good sportsman-like spirit. Our minds will be clear to revel in our wins yet learn from our losses and we will taste success.

No comments:

Post a Comment