Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Year's stats


So 2012 is already about at it’s halfway point, so reflecting back on what has passed from the year I decided to put up my stat sheet for the past 6 months. I was struggling hard to write… not find inspiration to write because I have too much of that. What I am really searching for is time and the ability to organize my thoughts, feelings, and experiences enough to present them logically to you all so that you can follow my life. I’m struggling at even keeping up with myself though… so good luck.

Matt’s Box Score:

GP

CV
ME
TVSF
BR
BPW
BGW
JA
JO
MM
130
5(±5)
$1350
7±30
7
14
±150
53
0

            For those of you experienced in statistics I’m sure you can read that box score no problem. For the rest of you I think that I can break down each category for you so you can understand my statistics. Each day I will write for one of the statistical categories so that this blog post doesn’t end up being 15 pages long. I also want to get back into the groove of writing, so if I can write every day for the next 10 days I hope I can get back on track.

More important than understanding the quantity of the stats is to understand the quality of the stats, just as it is in basketball. Kobe Bryant had a couple 40-point games against the Thunder in the past round of the playoffs, but the Lakers lost in 6 games. On the other hand, the Heat are 6-0 so far in the playoffs when Lebron scores 30 or more points, and the Heat are 3 games away from the NBA playoffs. I think that Lebron is having a much more quality playoffs than Kobe had (or has ever had, but that’s another discussion) even though Kobe may have had better numbers in his short playoff stint. So now that you have seen my numbers, I would like to break them down so that hopefully you can understand the quality of my life in the past 6 months.

GP= Games Played-

            I like to think of my life as a game. I know it is cliché, but I want you to read this poem. Ever since I have read this poem I have seen my life as a game:

This is your first game, y child. I hope you win.
I hope you win for your sake, not mine.
Because winning is nice.
It’s a good feeling.
Like the whole world is yours.
But, it passes, this feeling.
And what lasts is what you’ve learned.

And what you learn about is life.
That’s what sports is all about. Life.
The whole thing is played out in an afternoon.
The happiness of life.
The miseries.
The joys.
The heartbreaks.

There’s no telling what’ll turn up.

There’s no telling whether they’ll toss you out in the first five minutes or whether you’ll

stay for the long haul.

There’s no telling how you’ll do.
You might be a hero or you might be absolutely nothing.
There’s just no telling.
Too much depends on chance.
On how the ball bounces.

I’m not talking about the game, my child.
I’m talking about life.
But, its life that the game is all about.
Just as I said.

Because every game is life.
And life is a game.
A serious game
Dead serious.

But that’s what you do with serious things.
You do your best.
You take what comes.
You take what comes
And you run with it.

Winning is fun.
Sure.
But winning is not the point.

Wanting to win is the point.
Not giving up is the point.
Never being satisfied with what you’ve done is the point.
Never letting up is the point.
Never letting anyone down is the point.

Play to win.
Sure.
But lose like a champion.
Because it’s not winning that counts.
What counts is trying.

            I use and live by this poem way more than I probably should, but I feel like it encompasses the basic principles I live my life by. So the games played in my life are just the days that I am living. Since New Years Eve 2012 it has been 130 days, or I have had 130 games to try for a perfect game. Each and every day I live to be perfect. Though I know that I can never actually be perfect I try to live in a way, which I am constantly learning and improving to reach perfection. Like the poem says, its not being perfect that counts, what counts is trying.

I am blessed to have had 130 beautiful days to live already this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment