Friday, October 14, 2011

Is it better to believe in something true or avoid believing in something false?

So this is a question I wrote down in one of my notebooks. i don't know where it was asked, maybe in a lecture or a talk that I went to. Anyway, the question: Is it better to believe in something true or avoid believing in something false? really is a mind boggling question. Its really important to think about though. I think you can learn a lot about yourself if you really dive into what you believe regarding what is true and false. Anyway, while I was just sitting by the lake the other day I jotted down quick thoughts about the question:



In life you can only control what you do, what you think, and what you see. If you seek what is real in life and only that then the truth will reveal itself to you. If you indulge yourself with lies, gossip and false teachings then the truth will grow father and farther apart from you.
            In every human there is a divide between themselves and their true happiness. This divide becomes greater and greater as one allows bias, ignorance and selfishness obscure their truth. They forget to seek truth but instead are content with being told what to do or how to think. Wisdom manifests itself in the quest for truth. Ignorance manifests itself where there is an emphasis on what is false, even in the search for truth.
            We are born to be lifelong learners. We were MADE to seek wisdom and truth. If we concern ourselves with even the avoidance of what is false then we lose sight of the prize, which is truth.

Being here in Goma, even the decision to come to Goma makes me think a lot about this. Many people hear about Goma and the instability, the volcano, the lake, the poverty and they get scared. These things were definitely things that I had to take into account when deciding to come here and even these are things I need to be aware of while I am here. But I cannot dwell on these things. What I need to focus on is the truth. And the truth is that I am here in probably the most beautiful place in the world doing the thing I love most, coaching. I am hopefully giving hope to some kids, but even more so the truth is that the people here are giving me hope. Their reality is one with little hope and little happiness, but the people here don't live in a way that they try to avoid their deficiencies. Instead the people here enjoy their life, they take every second they can to be happy, they focus on the truth that they are living and are able to enjoy the people and world around them. That is all that is really important. 

I guess im really just an eternal optimist, but I want to enjoy life to the fullest!

No comments:

Post a Comment